Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
General / Re: Windows 10 Q&A
« Last post by BenYeeHua on January 26, 2016, 07:56:36 PM »
Fun face, there is never shut down in Windows 10, as for most user, "Fast Startup"/hibernate is replaced shut down. ;D
For laptop guys, some of them just standby the computer, which is much faster than Hibernate. ::)

Unless Windows Update has installed the update, and waiting you to replace the old files, that's when it will shut down for replacing the files, for real. ;D
Or you has restarted the computer, and clicked the Power button when BIOS is initializing/logo is showing. :D
Process Lasso / Re: Add desktop shortcut to Process Lasso
« Last post by parkd1 on January 25, 2016, 08:44:22 PM »
Sweet, thanks.
Bug Reports / Re: ACS.exe and Config Disappearing
« Last post by admiralspeedy on January 25, 2016, 08:41:56 PM »
Ok, also check my edit above for some more info.

I will install the debug version and keep an eye on it.

As a programmer, this really intrigues me :P
Process Lasso / Re: Add desktop shortcut to Process Lasso
« Last post by edkiefer on January 25, 2016, 08:38:56 PM »
AFAIK , it is on to do list.
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on January 25, 2016, 08:38:54 PM »
Well, none of the processes on that list should cause a crash, so I am just wondering what is going on. It could be some DLL mapped into Lasso's address space and causing trouble doing whatever it is doing - that has been known to happen. You could check the list of loaded modules into ProcessLasso.exe with Process Explorer.

In the debug version, if a crash occurs, you may get some data. Otherwise, there is going to be a mountain of data via DebugView, and until we can replicate the INI config reset, there is nothing to look for. When the INI reset next happens though, save the entire log and I can go through it to check for any relevant events.

I would recommend updating it every couple days by manually re-downloading it. I'll keep it moving forward and maybe add some new log events.

The 'INI reset detected' mechanism is something I will add very early in v9 alpha, to the point it may be our best hope of pinpointing what is going on. At least then you, or anyone affected, will know when this occurs without having to notice by accident.
« Last post by admiralspeedy on January 25, 2016, 08:34:29 PM »
Like I said, I must have another process running on that problematic list. I've actually confirmed that ACS works fine if I rename it to ACS2.exe. It triggers my power profile settings fine. However, doing this breaks launching it through Uplay and updates unless I rename it back to ACS.

I will install that debug version if you'd like, but I'm not sure what information you want from it.

EDIT: The problematic process crash doesn't seem to happen now. I know it restarts but then moments later it was crashing with a "Stopped Working" Windows dialog and I tried it like four times that night and it did it every time, even without ACS running. Also, I don't think the problematic process thing is related to the config. The first time I ever even toggled that setting was when I was trying to get ACS working and I had the config disappear several times before.
Process Lasso / Add desktop shortcut to Process Lasso
« Last post by parkd1 on January 25, 2016, 07:35:06 PM »
I think it would be better if you change it so when you install the program it would ask you if you want it on the desktop. That way for users that want it, it will put it there and the users that do not want it there it will not put it there. Just an idea.
General / Re: Windows 10 Q&A
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on January 25, 2016, 06:18:17 PM »
Shutdown is a tricky thing because you *want* to properly clean everything up, though in practice a lot of that cleanup is unnecessary and gets bogged down.
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on January 25, 2016, 04:02:37 PM »
Hotrod called it right - ACS.EXE was originally added to the tamper-proof list as part of Agnitum's Firewall, per this thread: https://products.bitsum.com/forum/index.php?topic=4509

Whether any game protection, or any issue exists at all, with Assassin's Creed Syndicate ACS.EXE is UNKNOWN, but seems unlikely. We will have to test it in a test bed.

Also, it's unclear whether there is even any serious issue with Agnitum's Firewall that would warrant it being on the tamper-proof list. It may just need to be a ProBalance exclusion. Again, we'll have to set up a test bed.

We already have new technology to better differentiate processes instead of relying on filenames, but it has not been introduced into v8 - it was put off until v9. Fortunately, v9 alpha is beginning, so I'll integrate this ASAP.

EDIT: Also note that we've tested the 'Ignore problematic processes' feature and found so far found NO PROBLEM with it disabled (we are continuing extended testing). Process Lasso will restart itself after it's toggled, which might be seen as a crash? Otherwise, it should work. The fact that a crash happens when this is toggled off may be related to the odd issue with the config reset. The whole situation smells of something strange, and I hope we find out what.

« Last post by Jeremy Collake on January 25, 2016, 02:36:50 PM »
That is a very good observation Hotrod!

Please hold and I will see if I can dig up the rationale for the addition of ACS.EXE to the 'tamper-proof list'.

Similar to admiralspeedy though, I'm more disturbed by the possibility of a configuration loss under any scenario. It should never happen. I am auditing the code now, will pinpoint any possible logic paths that could cause this, and we'll try to identify what is going on.

I'm also going to add a safety in v9 to detect the loss/reset of a configuration, perhaps this will let us catch any anomaly in testing for users that may not have otherwise noticed.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10