Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10
Bug Reports / Re: ACS.exe and Config Disappearing
« Last post by admiralspeedy on January 24, 2016, 08:37:29 PM »
I don't think the game is doing that. I must have another "problematic process" that doesn't like PL.

Anyhow, the whole config thing is really not that big of an issue so I wouldn't focus on it. I will keep checking PL regularly and see if I can determine what action causes the config to disappear.

I'm honestly more concerned with Assassin's Creed.
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on January 24, 2016, 07:14:44 PM »
There is most likely a separate infrastructure for the actual protection. The game doesn't do that *itself*. I would imagine a system service controlling a device driver, and even a session-mode process and globally mapped hook DLL to inject into other processes. This would cover all levels. It may even hide it's presence like a rootkit.

If you really wanted to find out, you could uninstall that game and see if it still crashes I suppose. That's assuming it removes whatever crap is protecting the game.
« Last post by admiralspeedy on January 24, 2016, 06:30:26 PM »
It crashes even if ACS is not running though.
ParkControl / Question about ParkControl
« Last post by Pol123 on January 24, 2016, 05:07:21 PM »
I'd like to know if there is a setting for starting ParkControl in his regular Windows directly instead of minimized ?

Also a setting/option to close it directly from the interface instead of going on the tray to close it would be cool  8)

Thanks for your great work ! 👍👍👍
The voodoo behind SmartScreen is intentionally kept obscure, so who knows for sure, but I suspect the primary cause was an automated bot that scans downloads at known whitelisted domains. We've been around so long,with such a spotless history, that we are on most of those lists. Either that, or the download count quickly escalated once we fixed the SHA2 signature chain.
« Last post by Jeremy Collake on January 24, 2016, 11:26:09 AM »
Ah, and that is why the process made it to the list. It's protection mechanism causes the crash, or otherwise manifests it.
« Last post by admiralspeedy on January 24, 2016, 11:15:09 AM »
BTW, as for ACS, are you aware of the menu option 'Options / General / Ignore problematic processes'? If you uncheck that, it should have unfettered access to that process.

I tried that before I started this thread and it didn't work, it actually caused Process Lasso to randomly crash whenever I opened the UI.
Yes, and the bad thing is gov don't forcing them to change, no one will change, and it is fun that Windows 10 still supporting very old hardware and providing latest security, no one want it. ::)
(of cause the Windows 10 stability issues is the Biggest of the reason ;D)

Just try running around and see how many people running old android with a lot of important information, they just don't care about it, because update break thing, so why I want to break something while it is running fine? :P
(Of cause after they updated it and found it is much smoother with ART used)

Even worst, my Edu care about security more than the gov.
And yes, the Edu website/services did causing some issues now, and no one want to fix it when your account is having issues, until they point out which should be the person that handle it. ::)
----
I did notice the SmartScreen filter resolved itself a day after I made the original post, I had edited the post about that, though forgot to mention it here. So, we are in the clear.

So I guess MS don't update their server with latest information(as SmartScreen access MS servers to confirm the SHA2 sign), I guess MS is also in a rush on this. ;D
Yea, the big enterprises don't like change. Heck, a lot are still refusing to give up XP. Change costs money, even if it saves money down the road -- but that kind of short-term thinking is common.

I did notice the SmartScreen filter resolved itself a day after I made the original post, I had edited the post about that, though forgot to mention it here. So, we are in the clear.
Yup, just what's I think, most dev will be forcing the other dev(that might not care about security) to improve the security, and Windows XP is getting cracked down for Win XP user, they will be leaving with a security issues, and so did the Gov. :)

(Fun fact, Malaysia gov webpage that contain personal information is just HTTP+IP address link...) :P

-----
Just tested Process Lasso installer, and also the SHA2 only installer, no SmartScreen pop out now, so it is "safe" (for Bitsum) now. ;)
And interesting, I just running a SHA1 signed installer on Windows 7, but no SmartScreen pop out, maybe it is disabled by some software...
I may need to check for it tomorrow.. :P

(BTW, the password is wrong and I just guessed it right, but I will let the other user to guess the right password, it's just need some "backspace" to found it.) ::)

----A little Off-topic
For security reason, I tested how's the extract tools will do to the "downloaded from Internet" files that label by browser, did they will label extracted files or not.

Windows File Explorer - Pass
WinRaR - Pass
2345好压 - Failed

So as you can see, any software that focus on adware function will not take care some little security on the files, even they did provided scanning engine that will scan the files before extract/run it. ::)
This is caused by users asking for FEATURE!!! that can be seen, not small (security) detail that can't be feel, it also shown how's meticulous the devs are. ;)

It will also be interesting for Antivirus, did they will look on this label or not, and doing some "heavy" scanning on the downloaded files. :D
----

Anyways, case closed, and Windows XP should be saying goodbye for next year. :)

Just kidding, big company will still be supporting SHA1 for XP users, and increase danger for most modern Windows user. ;D
This Chicken & Egg, or that Chicken & Egg? (compare with forcing user to use up-to-dated Windows with modern security supported, but reduced software compatibility)? :)
https://blog.cloudflare.com/sha-1-deprecation-no-browser-left-behind/
http://arstechnica.com/security/2015/12/sha1-sunset-will-block-millions-from-encrypted-net-facebook-warns/

Maybe blocking their SHA1 cert is a good idea, before browser start blocking them next years. ;D
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10