Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]
Bug Reports / ACS.exe and Config Disappearing
« Last post by admiralspeedy on January 21, 2016, 10:14:38 PM »
I love Process Lasso because it lets me set change my power profile automatically when I play games. I have paths setup for all of major game folders (Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc) and it works great except for two problems.

The first problem is with the config. I keep a backup of it because randomly I'll open PL to check things out and notice that my settings aren't right and then I check an all of my application power profiles are gone. I think this happens when the program updates and it means I have to import my config a lot.

The second issue is with the blacklisted process names. I noticed that no matter what, my application power profile setting would not work for Assassin's Creed Syndicate (ACS.exe) and doing further testing, it doesn't work for any process named ACS. I did some Googling and found out that you guys added ACS.exe to the list of tamper-proof processes way back some time in version 7. I understand that this was done because some antivirus had this name and caused issues. Can you please expose this list and let us allow processes that have been blacklisted? I don't use that anti virus and it simply hinders me for no reason.
So do I, and I guess you also has tested some anti-virus too? :D

It might much more easier for testing with just SHA2 signed, so to check did they can check the exe with just the SHA2 signature or not. :)
(for security or false-report. ;))
I will upload an SHA-2 only file here later for additional testing (I did a bit and saw no improvement over dual-signing, which is what I'd expect).

Our SHA2 digital signature will improve in reputation quickly, and I've taken additional steps to deal with the issue. I expect it to resolve within a few more days.
Yup, just checking the latest installer, the smart screen is telling the publisher, but it look like some software that only has their own sign. :P

Just for research, can you provide a installer or any exe that only signed with SHA2? Just to check did there is something difference between dual-sign and SHA2 sign only. :)

PS:Latest Chrome Canary has dual-signed, just the installer(or downloader, small installer, any name you want to call ;D) is still old version that post 1 Jan 2016, so they just update their Chrome.exe . :)
General / Re: Tool Tips?
« Last post by BenYeeHua on January 19, 2016, 10:12:27 PM »
I guess the solution is always reinstall Windows, but not upgrade it. :P
A lot of people saying that, reinstall Windows 10 fixed a lot of issues, so I guess they need to doing a bit better to reset the Windows own settings without affecting installed software.
General / Re: Windows 10 update
« Last post by BenYeeHua on January 19, 2016, 10:10:32 PM »
Well, first, I am sorry for stopping updating this topic, not too much energy for keeping it update anymore, as University is killing your time for not letting you learn your own knowledge. ::)

Think the update is a little better...but not much.
And ya, that's why you can see the update has always changing, unless I know how to reverse the file and check which has been changed.
I guess the changelog at here should not showing much, it is mainly just a record in case some bug showing up after patching the system, so I can know which patch is the cause. ;)

Speaking of all things Microsoft, does anyone use microsoft exchange? I know if you get it from www.1and1.co.uk/microsoft-exchange, it comes with Outlook 2013, so sounds like a good deal. Any reviews from other users?
Not for me, I somehow a bit hate email, it is becoming a strange thing now, as it become the last door to reset most of my accounts, so I will not using any software that had login my email, for security. ::)
Process Lasso / Re: control a process' private bytes usage.....
« Last post by BenYeeHua on January 19, 2016, 10:05:04 PM »
Well, Private Bytes means the software's own data, it can be inside the RAM and also Page File.
Based on your working set, it is just loaded but not being used, so after you TRIMed it, it just getting put inside the Page File.

For commit charge, if you means that one showing inside the Windows Task Manager, it is RAM+Page File size, you can just increase your Page File size or just set it as Auto size(managed by System) and stop worrying about it. :)
---
So ya, I think the real solution is just telling the dev to unload that data when it is not needed, unless it is not some files that will be cached by system. ;)
General / Re: Windows 10 Q&A
« Last post by BenYeeHua on January 19, 2016, 09:57:27 PM »
Yup, it has been changed to Modern App Calculator, so it can be updated without Windows Update, just the Store. ;)

You can still install back the Win32 version, just it is bit harder to do that. :)
General / Re: Windows 10 update
« Last post by sumo7 on January 19, 2016, 09:16:03 AM »
Speaking of all things Microsoft, does anyone use microsoft exchange? I know if you get it from www.1and1.co.uk/microsoft-exchange, it comes with Outlook 2013, so sounds like a good deal. Any reviews from other users?
Process Lasso / Re: control a process' private bytes usage.....
« Last post by 4EverMaAT on January 18, 2016, 09:19:54 PM »
Everything else is dependent on the application, and you can not do anything about it from the outside - e.g. certainly can't deny it virtual memory allocation requests.

That was what I was afraid of.  I wanted to either trim it, or cap the amount of virtual

I suppose I could set the watchdog to restart the app.  But 2 problems with that:
1) watchdog currently does not have path-specific app searching.  So all apps with the name 'application.exe' will have the watchdog applied to it.  Great if there is only 1 instance of that app.  But what if you have several instances in different install folders running simultaneously?

2) I try to avoid restarting an app because I lose some of the data that must be generated real-time.

But I can settle for #2 if you can fix #1 so that I can ignore apps in a specific folder,or only apply rules to apps in a specific path.  I would like both actually.  A blanket rule that could apply to several instances of the same-named executable, and then create exceptions for a few of them.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]